Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Applying "Behaviorism" in the classroom.

Image result for reward for behaviorI think one of the most productive ways to incorporate behaviorism in the classroom is to do it in preparation for a test or exam. My idea is to send students home with a moderate sized bank of questions that they can study and find the answers knowing that those question will be used on a review for the test the following day in which know they could win prizes. I would then create a set of cards for the students which had all the answers to the questions on them. I would give the students questions from the list of questions I sent home. Every time I asked a question, I would give the students 10 seconds to find the right card and then have them all hold up their cards at the same time. If they held up the right answer, I would give them a piece of candy. I could also modify this strategy to do a process of elimination. As students held up their cards, the students who raised the appropriate cards could go onto the next round, and the winner/winners could receive a larger prize than a small piece of candy I would give in the first game. I think this game would represent the behavior style of teaching because I am using incentives to try and garner the results I am aiming towards. If students know ahead of time that if they study their questions they could receive an award, I think I would have a better chance of getting the students to actually study for the test. I also think the fact the game allows student to "showoff" what they know increases the likelihood that the activity leads to a positive experience for the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment